Top Topics

01 April 2020

Rose-Coloured Spectacles & Pekingese Dreams | ♡Kiki || Everyday Kiki+Koko | 日常の嬉嬉+興子 | Nichijou no Kiki+Kouko

(NOTE: This post was written in advance of the COVID-19 (新型コロナウイルス) pandemic. Please pardon anything that could be misconstrued as detached from the situation in light of the current climate concerning the crisis. Any positivism was meant for situations outside of such a dark time in Earth's history. But, even still, what is positivism for if not for dark times such as these, even if it is as unbridled as in this article. Hopefully, this will still be a light in your days even during this difficult epoch in our journeys.
Stay Safe.

♡Kiki+Koko)

Photographed by Indigo East of ieindigoeast.com.

ハロー、エブリにゃん!嬉嬉ちゃんです!
Hello, every-nyan! It's Kiki-chan!°˖✧◝(๑・ω・๑)◜✧˖°

I hope you are having a brilliant day! And if you aren't, that's okay, too. Stars shine brightest in the bitterest of cold, and you couldn't see their light without some darkness.


Normally, Koko and I write every post together, but we reckoned it interesting to try to create some solo pieces for you. Though, I really like duets. The harmonies they create and even the dissonance is something unique and special. But, equally, if you don't practise on your own, you'll let down your duet partner. I love being in a group, but being an individual is important, too. Every Japanese culture lesson we teach on our main site, we mention that everyone's experience is different and everyone has their own unique view, so it's impossible to speak for everyone. So, I think this ties into a bit of being collectivist, enjoying working with my sister, Koko, because it's fun to be in a team, but also it's being a bit of an individualist, as we still have very different opinions and ideas, even if it sometimes seems like we align on most everything. I enjoy the dichotomy, but I definitely want to be sure I can create things on my own, as well, when we do things like managing our social media accounts or communicating with everyone. So, this should be a new and interesting experience.

♡Kiki+Koko™ | Japanese Teaching Twins living on Planet Earth
Photographed by Indigo East of ieindigoeast.com.
If you didn't know already, Koko and I create Japanese language and culture lessons and articles on ieindigoeast.com under the series: Kiki+Koko: Let's NihonGO!!. But, in that same dichotomy of being two sides of a coin, we're bilingual, speaking Japanese and English; and as Koko pointed out, being bilingual and learning vocabulary from two languages throughout the years is a much different experience than knowing one language and learning a new one. It's a totally different way of thinking and a totally different set of challenges! And, as teachers, it's important to understand the struggle of learning from zero. I think a lot of Japanese teachers don't focus on things that feel so basic and simple to them, because they've had their whole lives to know it, and can't even get into the mindset of the things that may feel huge and daunting. That isn't to say they're not empathetic, but there's an effect that happens to all of us when we move past certain stages in life.

In English, there's a term called 'rose-coloured spectacles', usually looking through rose-coloured spectacles. This means when you think of the past and you filter out the negatives, only remembering the positives. In Japanese, there's a similar phrase, but it doesn't have the exact same meaning: いろがねる, iromegane de miru, 'looking through rose coloured spectacles' which simply means when your judgement or view is changed or filtered differently based on your life experiences. This isn't necessarily positive or negative, but the English term is always in a positive light. But, they both relate to a sort of psychological cognitive bias. The English phrase relates to 'rosy retrospection' where things always seem like they were better when they're in the past. You look back on times that may have been difficult, but now, they don't seem so bad anymore, or maybe you only think of the good times. This is something useful when you're looking back on accomplishments, but discouraging when you want to take on new challenges.

The reason why things may seem worse now and better in the past is because you're currently going through them. Everything seems more positive when you don't have to deal with it anymore. But, this is the issue with teaching. After so many years and so many times, it is quite difficult to get back into the mindset of when something simply hasn't clicked into place in your mind, and where you haven't jumped over the hurtle or climbed over the mountain. When you age, the years before you seem to compress, and recent times feel like they're what's moving the slowest or happening for the longest time, which means they'll also feel like the moments with the greatest intensity. So, learning to read things like hiragana to a university professor, may seem like something that should only take a week, then they move on, because they assume it takes a shorter time for adults. But, in reality, this can take the same amount of time for adults as children. It's a strange bias where people assume learning a language is both easier for adults and more difficult for adults. However, there is the same amount of ability for both age groups. And, in fact, if your mind isn't in the mindset of learning, it can leave you at risk for cognitive decline when you're even older.

So, all in all, don't let age stop you from learning. When you've learnt it, you'll look back, and be able to appreciate the positives of learning. But, make learning a positive and fun experience, so you don't have to succumb to rosy retrospection, you can just look back and remember real fond memories.

I've only mentioned all of this to say, I think Koko has the right idea.We discussed it in a Radio Show episode, of which I'm never sure of the release dates. But, as she learns Swedish, I've decided I should also dabble in a language to experience the feeling of learning a new language more recently. No matter how busy you are, there's always a few moments a day to dedicate to learning. We've been continuing to keep up-to-date in psychology and education so we can be sure to do our best teaching you.

Koko decided to learn something totally different to Japanese and English, and while there are so many language I want to learn a bit about, I think I may try to learn a bit of Chinese. It seems the most resources I've found are in Mandarin, but the Beijing dialect or Pekingese, which I gather is like a central city dialect, like Tokyo dialect of Japanese. But, in Japanese, there's really no true central dialect, as so many words originated from different dialects. But, at the same time, just like in Japanese, I gather it's the basis for the language in general. It's sort of how I would recommend learning Japanese. It's best to start with what's seen as common and central Japanese, and then if you want to learn dialects like Tsugaru or Kansai, then it will make more sense and be much more fun.

(〃ノω・ノ) I think it may be cheating a bit because I've had some exposure to the language throughout the years, but I still feel like it will get me into the mindset of maybe someone who has watched anime or had a few classmates who spoke Japanese, but they want to learn Japanese formally, now. I still feel as though I am starting at zero, but I know most of the very old common Chinese internet slang. Perhaps, we will do a lesson on some common still-used Japanese internet slang at some point.

Anyway! I do also want to use this as an opportunity to test out a mainstream resource, as well. I don't want to be unfair to the lovely green owl who probably is trying his absolute best (and I'm sure there's people who have gotten information they couldn't have without him) but for a friend who asked my opinion on the course, I tested out of the Japanese course (so I could reveal all of the lesson and vocabulary for them and simply for fun to see the curriculum), and I just can't say it's the best resource. It's useful if you're already learning culture, grammar, physical handwriting, typing, and lessons from another source, but even if you use the back-end by using a teacher's account to see the full lessons, it's just not enough even to get started in seriously studying. But, if you feel it's working for you, I don't want to minimise your efforts! I think there's a use for it, but it did make me wary to check their Chinese games. I may give my opinion on it, but if it's not good.... (〃ノωノ) I would feel bad giving it criticism. But, I'll use the Japanese version, which is easier for me. I have to assume it's similar, but I will check the English one if it's not good enough as a supplement for other trusted internet sources.

((๑・ω・๑)◜In the same way, if you have any suggestions of ways we can improve our ever-growing library of original Japanese language learning resources on our site, contact us, please, as your feedback might help countless people!

It's always eye-opening and perspective changing year after year of teaching and hearing others' experiences. Even if we're doing our best as well, there's nothing that can replace your personal experience, and there's always a way to improve. We've been sure to do the best we can with what we have, trying to do things different to the mainstream in a way that should be universally helpful, but we're still kind of earthlings, and all earthlings are different which means different methods may work better for some more than others; and we want to be able to cover that myriad of learning styles! And, of course, the more resources we have to work with, the more resources we'll be able to create, so we're hoping for your continued support!)

So, anyway! I'll upload some photos of my notes here and there when I begin. I don't know if Koko is using Japanese or English notes, but I will try to incorporate some English if I remember. I hope to more fully get into the mind frame of someone learning a language for the first time. Even though I already empathise and I feel like I understand the patience it takes, I think it's still important to get that perspective. And, I think this fits in perfectly with this blog! Our journey here on planet Earth, and our unique perspective and experiences, as well as the things that could potentially impact and change them. 

I look forward to sharing more of our journey and experiences on planet Earth, and I wish you every kind of happiness along the way.
♡Kiki